The Ozanam Leadership Program is a values and skills based initiative of the St Vincent de Paul Society designed to develop and equip participants to be compassionate servant leaders within the community. This program is underpinned by the Society’s Vincentian Charism which is based on servant leadership, the Society’s values, mission, vision and call to put faith into action. We recognise that Vincentian Charism and servant leadership is what grounds us in our call to action, provides the framework and motivation for us to carry out our ‘good works’ of supporting people with a ‘hand up’
The Ozanam Leadership Program runs from February to December and is currently open to students across South East Queensland who are in years 10-11. There are a total of 10 dedicated points of contact, plus participants will complete a program workbook to journal their journey. Each dedicated point of contact has been broken into 4 core components;
- COMPONENT 1: 2 Day Outdoor Retreat
- COMPONENT 2: Leadership Development Days
- COMPONENT 3: Mentor Catch Ups
- COMPONENT 4: Community Advocacy Initiative
Places for this program are limited, as such participants are asked to carefully consider their application to ensure they can commit to the whole program once selected.
Student acknowledge that this program goes from February to December and are willing to commit to the whole program. We do however, understand that there may be occasions where a participant may not be able to attend an event. Where this is the case please advise us as soon as practical. Upon successfully completing the program students will be given a certificate of achievement and letter of reference from their mentor highlighting their involvement throughout the program.
This program aims to give students a rich and meaningful experience by;
- Developing interpersonal skills that align with our collective values
- Creating a community of belonging that identifies and develops individual and collective strengths, while building resilience to overcome challenges
- Understanding and develop communication skills, including; conflict resolution, how to have difficult conversations, giving and receiving feedback and communicating emphatically and authentically
- Advocating with knowledge and discernment through social justice initiatives
- Practical application of leadership skills through wider Society programs and initiatives
- Creating new friendships with other passionate community minded young people
- Providing volunteering opportunities to put skills into action through Society programs such as KIDS Camp, Buddies Days, Soccer Stars (16 years and over)
In addition to participant outcomes, it is our aim that through this program we will;
- Give back to school communities as a way of acknowledging the continued support they provide the Society
- Help to develop school students to become leaders within their community
- Provide opportunities for schools to have a representative actively engaging with a leading community organisation
- This program is open to students in year 10 or 11, students from year 12 will be considered, however need to understand that some elements of the program may clash with exams. As such we do ask that if students in year 12 wish to participate that they consider the time commitment beforehand and are prepared to participate in the whole program.
- Applications for the 2020 intake are OPEN
- Application for 2020 have been extended and will now close 29 November, 2019
- To apply please complete the application form below
This program has a limited number of places available, with a maximum of 32 students. Typically only 2-3 students are accepted from the same school, however all applications are considered.
- The Ozanam Leadership Program is currently only available to students across South East Queensland.
- We are hoping to expand this program to other areas throughout Queensland. If this is something you think your students would be interested in participating in please use the Expression of Interest form below to register your interest.
This program is provided free of charge to all participants.